Adelle is Senior Caribbean Research Associate for the IMPACT project and part of the Science team. Her particular focus is on aspects of social vulnerability, adaptation strategies and loss and damage.
Prior to joining Climate Analytics, Adelle was an Assistant Professor at University of The Bahamas and Director of the Climate Change Initiative at the university. As a human-environment geographer, she is interested in the particular vulnerabilities and adaptation potentials for small island developing states. Adelle has worked for several years on intersections between climate change adaptation, environmental protection and development. Her research has centered on varying aspects of adaptation and social vulnerability including examining the potential of insurance as an adaptation strategy; knowledge, awareness and perception of the public about climate change; assessing opportunities, barriers and limits to adaptation; and challenges facing small islands in managing loss and damage.
Adelle has authored a variety of academic publications and has also provided scientific services to a number of organizations including the Global Environment Facility, Inter-American Development Bank, International Maritime Organization and national institutions in the USA and Bahamas. Adelle obtained a PhD in Geography from Rutgers University (2012) and a BS in Civil Engineering from University of Minnesota and Macalester College (2005).
A list of Adelle’s publications can be found here.
- A year of climate extremes: a case for Loss & Damage at COP23 , 01 November 2017
- Island states need better data to manage climate losses , 23 August 2017
- Peer reviewed
- Perceptions of climate change risk in The Bahamas Thomas, A. and Benjamin, L.Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences. Doi: 10.1007/s13412-017-0429-6, (2017)
- Management of loss and damage in small island developing states: Implications for a 1.5°C or warmer world Thomas, A. and Benjamin, L.Regional Environmental Change, L. Reg Environ Change, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-017-1184-7, (2017)
- Policies and mechanisms to address climate-induced migration and displacement in SIDS International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCCSM-03-2017-0055, (2017)
- 1.5°C TO STAY ALIVE?: AOSIS and the Long Term Temperature Goal in the Paris Agreement Benjamin, L. and Thomas, A.IUCNAEL eJournal, 7, (2016)
- Mass tourism, land use change and small hotels Thomas, A. Caribbean Geography, 21:22-44., (2016)
- Coastal economies in a changing climate: Impacts, risks and vulnerabilities Leichenko, R. and Thomas, A.Geography Compass 6(6): 327-339, (2012)
- Adaptation through insurance: Lessons from the National Flood Insurance Program Thomas, A. and Leichenko, R.International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management 3(3): 250-263, (2011)
- Briefing papers
- Tropical Cyclones: Impacts, the link to Climate Change and Adaptation Adelle Thomas, Patrick Pringle, Peter Pfleiderer, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner (2017)