Dr Anne Zimmer
Group Lead: Socioeconomic Impacts of Climate Change and Co-Benefits of Mitigation
Anne joined the Climate Policy Team of Climate Analytics in January 2018 as Climate Change Economist. At Climate Analytics, she works on several projects related to co-benefits of mitigation and adaptation, climate impacts and avoided damages.
In her career, Anne has conducted research on various climate and energy related issues including political and behavioral challenges to climate policy implementation, co-benefits, low-carbon development, and vulnerability to climate impacts. Moreover, she gained experience in applying a broad set of quantitative methods (such as econometrics) and qualitative methods (such as policy analyses, interviews). During her PhD thesis, she worked as researcher at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) in the Research Domain “Sustainable Solutions”. In her PhD thesis, she investigated among other things the factors behind the shift in Vietnam’s climate policy and the potential of fuel taxation reforms to curb air pollution and carbon emissions from road transportation in Europe. Moreover, as a consultant for the World Bank, Anne analyzed the impact of climate-related shocks on poverty in developing countries. In her previous position at ConPolicy, she was giving policy advice in the field of sustainable consumption and on other consumer policy issues among others to the German Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection (BMJV) as well as the German Federal Environment Agency (UBA).
Anne holds an economics degree (Diploma) from Freie Universität Berlin and a PhD in climate change economics from Technische Universität Berlin, supervised by Prof. Dr. Ottmar Edenhofer (PIK and MCC Berlin).
Zimmer, A. & N. Koch (2017): Fuel consumption dynamics in Europe: tax reform implications for air pollution and carbon emissions. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Vol. 106, pp. 22- 50. DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2017.08.006
Zimmer, A., Jakob, M. & J. Steckel (2015): What motivates Vietnam to strive for a low-carbon economy? – On the drivers of climate policy in a developing country. Energy for Sustainable Development, Vol 24, pp.19–32. (Awarded with AKN Reddy Best Paper Award) DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esd.2014.10.003
Staub-Kaminski, I., Zimmer, A., Jakob, M. & R. Marschinski (2014): Climate Policy in Practice: A Typology of Obstacles and Implications for Integrated Assessment Modelling. Climate Change Economics, Vol. 5, No. 1. DOI https://doi.org/10.1142/S2010007814400041
- Briefing papers
- Employment opportunities from a coal-to-renewables transition in South Korea Anne Zimmer, Jonas Hörsch, Charlotte Plinke, Gaurav Ganti, Seukyoung Lee, Himalaya Bir Shrestha, Matthew Gidden, Lara Welder, Jeehye Park, Tina Aboumahboub, Deborah Ramalope, Bill Hare (2021)
- Assessing the health benefits of a Paris-aligned coal phase out for South Korea Gaurav Ganti, Anne Zimmer, Andreas Anhäuser, Charlotte Plinke, Lauri Myllyvirta, Carley Reynolds, Deborah Ramalope, Matthew Gidden, Bill Hare (2021)
- Sustainable development through climate leadership - Opportunities for LDCs Anne Zimmer, Claire Fyson, Emily Theokritoff, Ziaul Haque and Tenzin Wangmo (2019)
- Towards a just transition of the workplace: Baseline Analysis for the Electricity and Road Transport Sectors in Antigua and Barbuda Anne Zimmer, Charlotte Plinke, Bob Brecha, Frances Fuller (2021)
- Decarbonising South Asia and South East Asia Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Paola Yanguas Parra, Anne Zimmer, Andrzej Ancygier, Fahad Saeed, Robert Brecha, Bill Hare, Jessie Granadillos, Tina Aboumahboub, Gaurav Ganti, Ilsa Kelischek, Raghuveer Vyas, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, Michiel Schaeffer (2019)
- Science Based Coal Phase-out Pathway For Germany in Line with the Paris Agreement 1.5°C Warming Limit: Opportunities and Benefits of an Accelerated Energy Transition Paola Parra, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Niklas Roming, Anne Zimmer, Fabio Sferra, Tino Aboumahboub, Michiel Schaeffer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer (2018)
- Climate Action Tracker Reports and Updates
- Scaling up Climate Action in Australia Ursula Fuentes, Bill Hare, Anna Chapman, Tina Aboumahboub, Himalaya Bir Shrestha, Anne Zimmer, Charlotte Plinke, Michiel Schaefer, Bob Brecha, Matt Gidden. Graphic design: Matt Beer (2020)
- A government roadmap for addressing the climate and post COVID-19 economic crises Climate Analytics, New Climate Institute (2020)
- Scaling up climate action in the European Union: Key opportunities for transitioning to a zero emissions society Andrzej Ancygier, Tina Aboumahboub, Anne Zimmer, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Robert Brecha, Michiel Schaefer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer, Frederic Hans, Hanna Fekete, Keno Riechers, Takeshi Kuramochi, Niklas Höhne, Nicolas Fux, Thibaud Lemercier, Tom Berg, Yvonne Deng, Kornelis Blok (2018)