The Climate Action Tracker (CAT) is an independent scientific analysis that measures government climate action against the globally agreed aim of holding warming well below 2°C, and pursuing efforts to limit warming to 1.5°C. It is produced by two research organisations: Climate Analytics, and NewClimate Institute.
The CAT tracks climate pledges and policies of 32 countries, covering around 80% of global emissions, including all the biggest emitters and a representative sample of smaller emitters. The analysis focuses on:
- Government climate action pledged to the UNFCCC (and INDCs, other commitments)
- The policies a government has actually implemented to meet its commitments
- Whether a government is doing its “fair share” compared with others
- Comparison to emission reduction potential based on a literature review
- Comparison of national and sectoral decarbonisation indicators
Individual country assessments, briefings and updates are available www.climateactiontracker.org