Thermometer shows the global-mean temperature increase above pre-industrial by 2100, with an uncertainty range originating from carbon-cycle and climate modelling.
Independent Scientific Analysis
The Climate Action Tracker (CAT) is an independent scientific analysis that measures government climate action against the globally agreed aim of holding warming well below 2°C, and pursuing efforts to limit warming to 1.5°C. It is produced by three research organisations: Climate Analytics, Ecofys and NewClimate Institute.
The Climate Action Tracker tracks climate pledges and policies of 32 countries, covering around 80% of global emissions, including all the biggest emitters and a representative sample of smaller emitters. The analysis focuses on:
- Government climate action pledged to the UNFCCC (and INDCs, other commitments)
- The policies a government has actually implemented to meet its commitments
- Whether a government is doing its “fair share” compared with others
- Comparison to emission reduction potential based on a literature review
- Comparison of national and sectoral decarbonisation indicators
Individual country assessments, briefings and updates are available www.climateactiontracker.org