In the absolute ranking, Climate Analytics is 19th out of 244.
The ICCG Climate Think Tank Ranking assessed 244 think tanks around the world, specialised in the research fields of climate change and climate policy but not not affiliated or integrated with universities. The Standardised Ranking measures the think tanks’ efficiency in per capita/researcher terms, by taking into account the number of researchers in each institution. The Absolute Ranking measures performance regardless of their efficiency and hence size.
The ICCG think tank’s evaluation is based on the think tank’s activities, including scientific output, verified through the number and quality of articles published in peer-reviewed journals, proceedings and books, degree of activity in organising conferences and seminars and in participating in the IPCC reports, and the degree of dissemination through participation in carefully selected international conferences on climate and energy, as well as web performance and use of social networks.
According to the ICCG ranking, the top three think tanks of the 2016 standardised ranking are:
- Woods Hole Research Center (WHRC) – Falmouth, United States
- Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS – only climate/environmental department) – Cambridge, United States
- Centre for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) – Bogor, Indonesia
The top three think tanks of the 2016 absolute ranking are:
- Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) – Leipzig, Germany
- International Institute for AppliedSystems Analysis (IIASA) – Laxenburg, Austria
- The Nature Conservancy (TNC) – Arlington, United States
The International Center for Climate Governance, a joint initiative of the Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM) and the Fondazione Giorgio Cini. It’s an internationally renowned center focusing on the design of climate policy and related governance issues.
ICGG has been ranking climate think tanks since 2012 and Climate Analytics first participated in the ranking in 2014.
Full ranking and methodology can be downloaded here.