National Climate Change Impact and Adaptation Expert Burkina Faso
Closing date: 15 December 2017
Starting date: as soon as budget is confirmed
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Terms: Fixed term contract until August 2019, with possibility of extension depending on performance and funding
For further information send your questions via email to .
To apply, send one PDF with your CV, cover letter, list of publications and a list of three referees in English or French, and one PDF with a research statement in French to by 15th December. Subject “Climate Change Impact and Adaptation Expert – Burkina Faso”
We are currently seeking an Expert on Climate Impacts and Adaptation to lead our scientific work in Burkina Faso. The position is based in Ouagadougou, and will require some travel to Climate Analytics’ regional offices in Lomé, to other countries in the francophone sub-Saharan region and to our head office in Berlin.
Together with the national Project Manager and Communications Expert, the national Climate Impact and Adaptation Expert will form a Burkina Faso project team, that will interact with similar project teams based in Senegal and Benin, as well as with the overall coordinating team based in Berlin.
The Climate Impact and Adaptation Expert – Burkina Faso will report to the Climate Analytics’ scientific project coordinator based in our Head Office in Berlin, and will cooperate closely with the national project manager in Burkina Faso, with the project’s policy analyst, as well as with various other colleagues in the science team.
Key responsibilities associated with the position include:
- Perform independent qualitative and quantitative assessments of national and regional climate adaptation information
- Assess the integration of scientific information into policy formulation processes and more in general assess the extent of interaction between the national scientific community and policy actors
- Assess the need for (improvement of) in-depth vulnerability assessments for national adaptation planning in Burkina Faso
- Take the lead in priority setting of sectors or themes that could benefit from more in-depth assessments, based on both policy and scientific insights, striking a balance between policy demand on one hand, and scientific uncertainties and a-priori risk estimates on the other hand
- Facilitate the networking and cooperation of national scientific actors around vulnerability and adaptation to climate change
- Liaise with policy makers, and representatives of civil society and the private sector to facilitate and further support the implementation of vulnerability assessments in the country
- Facilitate, assist and advise the actual implementation of these studies; co-develop methods for conducting assessments with scientific actors in Burkina Faso
- Assist in the development and strengthening of the science-policy interface through regular exchange with governmental agencies within Burkina Faso to facilitate the use of scientific output in the adaptation planning of the country
- Support the overall development of scientific capacity and science-based approaches in national partner institutions
- Writing of reports, work papers and other information material.
Following qualifications and skills are required:
- A PhD in development or resource economics, geography, environmental sciences, or a related field
- Minimum five years’ experience in the field of vulnerability and adaptation to climate change
- Experience with economic assessments of climate change impacts, or with economic planning in a development context
- A profound understanding of major challenges of climate change for development
- Good understanding or familiarity with Burkina Faso’s economy, government and governance systems, or with the national scientific community
- Experience with inter-disciplinary work
- Experience in planning and conducting participatory research, preferably in a francophone developing country
- A well-developed sense for team work, excellent networking skills and ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally
- Strong communication skills
- Native or near-native French skills. Excellent English communication skills.
Following skills are an asset:
- GIS, Remote sensing, Econometrics
- Experience working in virtual teams and conducting e-meetings
- Experience working with the Burkinabe government and/or with national and regional networks