Team Leader Mitigation Pathway Analysis
Deadline: 9 June 2019
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: Berlin, Germany
Terms: We are looking for a long term collaboration. Currently we can offer a two year fixed term contract with the perspective of extension based on performance and funding.
For questions and additional information related to details of the position please contact Claudia Neumann .
We are currently seeking a new leader of our Mitigation Pathway Analysis Team. Within the overarching Climate Policy Team of about 15 people (and growing), the Mitigation Pathway Analysis Team and its team leader work closely together with the Climate Policy Analysis Team and its team leader.
The talented team is engaged with a large and exciting variety of projects, and continuously develops new research and applied policy projects. In its work, the team has a major interest in energy-system transformation, coal and other fossil-fuel phase-out at international, national, sub-national and sectoral levels, tracking and assessing climate action at international, national, sub-national and sectoral levels, combining both qualitative and quantitative scientific and policy expertise, approaches, data and models. Examples of current and past projects are the Climate Action Tracker, IMPACT and RIPPLES, coal phase out studies at global and regional/country level. New projects, incl. under H2020, build on these and earlier successful projects.
- You lead the mitigation modelling and pathway analysis work of Climate Analytics.
- You lead and develop the growing team to strengthen and enhance the growth of the already strong and motivated team.
- Together with the team leader Climate Policy Analysis you will support the close cooperation between the two teams and take the entire Climate Policy Team to the next level.
- Fostering close collaboration with other Climate Analytic teams is essential for you.
- You coordinate and lead projects focusing on mitigation pathway and energy transformation analysis covering all topics mentioned above.
- You ensure scientific integrity and overall quality control.
- Increasing the scientific profile of the organisation in climate mitigation analysis is a core element of your work.
- You provide guidance in development of new methodologies and models, incl. for estimating the co-benefits of climate policy and energy transformation to aid in decision-making.
- Representation of Climate Analytics and project teams/consortiums for dissemination of results are your success. You are present at conferences and lead publications/reports.
- You oversee and coordinate the fundraising and grant writing activities of your team supported by our project development team.
You will ideally have the following qualifications and skills:
- A PhD in climate economics, energy studies, or a related field and at least 5 years of relevant work experience at post-doc level. Comparable experience can be considered
- A scientific track record in the field of mitigation pathway analysis and ability to guide the development of relevant models, including Integrated Assessment Models, economic and energy-system optimisation tools
- Proven programming skills, including in R and Python
- Proven management and leadership skills with sense for team work and ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- Experience in project management and coordination
- Track record in project or research grant acquisition
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills. Basic German skills are welcome, but not required, other language skills are an asset
- Willingness to travel
We can offer a positive and inspiring working atmosphere in an international team, participation in a great network of partner institutes and stakeholders, as well as insights into the international climate change negotiations and our support work for stakeholders globally, including emerging economies and developed countries, but with a special focus on SIDS and LDCs.