Uğur is a data scientist in the Climate Policy Analysis Team.
She focuses on the Climate Action Tracker, calculating the global emissions pathways and the resulting temperatures, based on emissions data and country INDCs. In addition, she supports the Policy Analysis Team, in programming for data analysis tasks, including contributing to the development of the Simplified Integrated Assessment Model with Energy Systems Emulator (SIAMESE).
She is a physicist who studied in Istanbul and Gothenburg before starting her PhD in astrophysics at the University of Leicester in 2006. Her research at that time and later as a postdoctoral researcher at the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics in Potsdam focused on understanding the structure and evolution of dwarf galaxies and has been computationally intensive; performing galactic simulations, data reduction and analysis, Monte Carlo simulations, programming for a Markov Chain modelling pipeline.
- Briefing papers
- Climate Analytics equity methodology Marcia Rocha, Alain Coimbra, Paola Yanguas-Parra, Uğur Ural, Climate Analytics, (2017)
- Stress test for coal in the EU Climate Analytics (2017)
- Implications of the Paris Agreement for coal use in the power sector Dr. Marcia Rocha, Dr. (h.c) Bill Hare, Paola Yanguas Parra, Niklas Roming, Ugur Ural, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Fabio Sferra, Howard Li, Dr. Michiel Schaeffer (2016)
- Climate Action Tracker Reports and Updates
- Improvement in warming outlook as India and China move ahead, but Paris Agreement gap still looms large Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Equitable emissions reductions under the Paris Agreement Paola Parra, Uğur Ural, Jasmin Cantzler, Bill Hare (Climate Analytics)Hanna Fekete, Lisa Luna, Niklas Höhne(NewClimate Institute)Yvonne Deng, Kornelis Blok (Ecofys) (2017)