Paola leads modelling and analytical work on the decarbonisation of the energy sector in the context of the Paris Agreement, with emphasis on identifying strategies to phase out coal and other fossil fuels in the power sector. She also contributes to the Climate Action Tracker, analysing the impact of current policies, pledges, targets and NDCs on national emissions.
Before moving to Germany she worked for the Colombian Government in its only public banking Institution as a financial analyst. Paola has work experience in the areas of research, financial analysis, economic studies, and projects assessment.
She holds a Masters in Public Policy, specialising in Policy Analysis, from the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, and a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the Universidad Nacional de Colombia (Colombia´s National University).
- Peer reviewed
- Ten key short-term sectoral benchmarks to limit warming to 1.5°C Takeshi Kuramochi, Niklas Höhne, Michiel Schaeffer, Jasmin Cantzler, Bill Hare, Yvonne Deng, Sebastian Sterl, Markus Hagemann, Marcia Rocha, Paola Andrea Yanguas-Parra, Goher-Ur-Rehman Mir, Lindee Wong, Tarik El- Laboudy, Karlien Wouters, Delphine Deryng & Kornelis Blok, Climate Policy, DOI: 10.1080/14693062.2017.1397495, (2017)
- Briefing papers
- Japan at an international crossroads - seeking a sunset for coal Matthew Webb (E3G), Paola Yanguas Parra (2018)
- Climate Analytics equity methodology Marcia Rocha, Alain Coimbra, Paola Yanguas-Parra, Uğur Ural, Climate Analytics, (2017)
- Facilitating Global Transition: The Role of Nationally Determined Contributions in Meeting the Long-Term Temperature Goal of the Paris Agreement By Dr. (h.c.) Bill Hare, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, Laetitia De Marez, Paola Yanguas Parra, NDC partnership, (2017)
- The Finkel Review and scientific consistency with the Paris Agreement Bill Hare, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Fabio Sferra, Paola Parra, Jasmin Cantzler, Michiel Schaeffer, Matt Beer (2017)
- Some progress since Paris, but not enough, as governments amble towards 3°C of warming Climate Action Tracker (2018)
- Science Based Coal Phase-out Pathway For Germany in Line with the Paris Agreement 1.5°C Warming Limit: Opportunities and Benefits of an Accelerated Energy Transition Paola Parra, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Niklas Roming, Anne Zimmer, Fabio Sferra, Tino Aboumahboub, Michiel Schaeffer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer (2018)
- Science based coal phase-out timeline for Japan - Implications for policymakers and investors Paola Yanguas Parra, Yuri Okubo, Niklas Roming, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Fabio Sferra, Michiel Schaeffer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer (2018)
- The Emissions Gap Report 2017: A UN Environment Synthesis Report (2017)
- Stress test for coal in the EU Climate Analytics (2017)
- The Low Carbon Monitor Eds. Michiel Schaeffer, Marcia Rocha, Matthew McKinnon (2016)
- Implications of the Paris Agreement for coal use in the power sector Dr. Marcia Rocha, Dr. (h.c) Bill Hare, Paola Yanguas Parra, Niklas Roming, Ugur Ural, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Fabio Sferra, Howard Li, Dr. Michiel Schaeffer (2016)
- What does the Paris Agreement mean for Finland and the European Union? Marcia Rocha, Fabio Sferra, Michiel Schaeffer, Niklas Roming, Andrzej Ancygier, Paola Parra, Jasmin Cantzler, Alain Coimbra, Bill Hare (2016)
- Climate Action Tracker Reports and Updates
- Improvement in warming outlook as India and China move ahead, but Paris Agreement gap still looms large Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Equitable emissions reductions under the Paris Agreement Paola Parra, Uğur Ural, Jasmin Cantzler, Bill Hare (Climate Analytics)Hanna Fekete, Lisa Luna, Niklas Höhne(NewClimate Institute)Yvonne Deng, Kornelis Blok (Ecofys) (2017)
- Action by China and India slows emissions growth,President Trump’s policies likely to cause US emissions to flatten Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Australia set to overshoot its 2030 target by large margin Marcia Rocha, Bill Hare, Paola Parra, Jasmin Cantzler (Climate Analytics)Niklas Höhne (NewClimate Institute)Louise Jeffery, Ryan Alexander (Potsdam Institute for Climate Impacts Research)Lindee Wong, Karlien Wouters, Kornelis Blok (Ecofys) (2015)