+49 (0)30 259 22 95-22
Niklas is a Climate Policy Analyst whose current work mainly focuses on the Climate Action Tracker. He has a special interest in econometrics, data analysis and data visualisation using open source software.
From 2012 he was a member of research staff at Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK). He contributed in the creation of a new set of scenarios of income and population in the 21st century – the Shared Socioeconomic Pathways (SSPs) – which facilitate accounting for uncertainty in future social and economic development. These scenarios are used to harmonise several integrated assessment models of climate change (IAMs) in order to make their results comparable. Niklas also participated in improving data input and and analysis of results of PIK’s own IAM – the REMIND model.
Since May 2015 he is a guest at PIK. He holds a diploma in economics from the University of Hohenheim and is pursuing a PhD at the Technical University Berlin.
- Reports of breaching 1.5°C warming soon are exaggerated , 10 May 2017
- What does the Paris 1.5°C limit mean for Australia? , 24 August 2016
- Briefing papers
- Feasibility of limiting warming to 1.5 and 2°C Joeri Rogelj, Michiel Schaeffer, Niklas Roming, Fabio Sferra, Bill Hare, Olivia Serdeczny (2015)
- Science Based Coal Phase-out Pathway For Germany in Line with the Paris Agreement 1.5°C Warming Limit: Opportunities and Benefits of an Accelerated Energy Transition Paola Parra, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Niklas Roming, Anne Zimmer, Fabio Sferra, Tino Aboumahboub, Michiel Schaeffer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer (2018)
- Science based coal phase-out timeline for Japan - Implications for policymakers and investors Paola Yanguas Parra, Yuri Okubo, Niklas Roming, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Fabio Sferra, Michiel Schaeffer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer (2018)
- Western Australia's Gas Gamble - Implications of natural gas extraction in WA Bill Hare, Niklas Roming, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Michiel Schaeffer, Matt Beer (2018)
- Stress test for coal in the EU Climate Analytics (2017)
- The Low Carbon Monitor Eds. Michiel Schaeffer, Marcia Rocha, Matthew McKinnon (2016)
- Implications of the Paris Agreement for coal use in the power sector Dr. Marcia Rocha, Dr. (h.c) Bill Hare, Paola Yanguas Parra, Niklas Roming, Ugur Ural, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Fabio Sferra, Howard Li, Dr. Michiel Schaeffer (2016)
- Implications of the 1.5°C limit in the Paris Agreement for climate policy and decarbonisation Bill Hare, Niklas Roming, Michiel Schaeffer, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner (2016)
- What does the Paris Agreement mean for Finland and the European Union? Marcia Rocha, Fabio Sferra, Michiel Schaeffer, Niklas Roming, Andrzej Ancygier, Paola Parra, Jasmin Cantzler, Alain Coimbra, Bill Hare (2016)
- Implications of oil extraction from the Great Australian Bight for Paris Agreement long-term goal Bill Hare, Niklas Roming, Michiel Schaeffer (2016)