+49 (0)30 259 22 95-26
+49 (0) 176 8691 4455
Matt Beer is a graphic designer and our resident expert on data visualisation and communication. His main focus is on the Climate Action Tracker and ensuring the data from this project tells a clear and easy to understand story of what is actually happening, most importantly how current trends of various countries are in line with their respective targets for the UNFCCC process.
Matt has a varied background working in many areas and places. He studied chemical engineering at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia before moving to Perth to work as an energy efficiency engineer in the already climate affected Western Australian water industry. In 2010 he left Australia to focus on improving communication surrounding energy and climate change, spending time developing an educational website on climate change, oil and economics with mainly video content that is filtered so users with various knowledge levels can find material appropriate for them. He also worked on a data based animated video series on peak oil, attempting to teach the viewer the most important aspects of oil’s function in the economy in under 3 hours. His other work includes videos and info-graphics for various freelance clients.
The Peak Oil Files An animated video series explaining the science and concepts behind oil’s role in our global economy, specifically the dynamics behind supply and demand.
Banks: do the Paris Pledge video for Banktrack on behalf of over 150 supporting organisations showing the role banks play in funding coal projects and calling for them to pledge to stop and do their part in limiting global warming.
climateexperiment.com A website designed to make it much easier to learn about the biggest issues of our time: climate destabilisation, peak oil and our economic system. The website content is primarily video that has been filtered by topic and knowledge level, so that users can find videos appropriate for them no matter what their prior knowledge level is.
- Briefing papers
- Australia’s vehicle fleet - dirty and falling further behind Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Jasmin Cantzler, Fabio Sferra, Bill Hare, Gaurav Ganti, Matt Beer (2019)
- Australia Climate Factsheets - Industry Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Jasmin Cantzler, Fabio Sferra, Bill Hare, Gaurav Ganti, Matt Beer (2018)
- Evaluating Australia's climate policy action Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Jasmin Cantzler, Fabio Sferra, Bill Hare, Gaurav Ganti, Matt Beer (2018)
- The Finkel Review and scientific consistency with the Paris Agreement Bill Hare, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Fabio Sferra, Paola Parra, Jasmin Cantzler, Michiel Schaeffer, Matt Beer (2017)
- Decarbonising South Asia and South East Asia Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Paola Yanguas Parra, Anne Zimmer, Andrzej Ancygier, Fahad Saeed, Robert Brecha, Bill Hare, Jessie Granadillos, Tina Aboumahboub, Gaurav Ganti, Ilsa Kelischek, Raghuveer Vyas, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, Michiel Schaeffer (2019)
- Some progress since Paris, but not enough, as governments amble towards 3°C of warming Climate Action Tracker (2018)
- Science Based Coal Phase-out Pathway For Germany in Line with the Paris Agreement 1.5°C Warming Limit: Opportunities and Benefits of an Accelerated Energy Transition Paola Parra, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Niklas Roming, Anne Zimmer, Fabio Sferra, Tino Aboumahboub, Michiel Schaeffer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer (2018)
- Science based coal phase-out timeline for Japan - Implications for policymakers and investors Paola Yanguas Parra, Yuri Okubo, Niklas Roming, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Fabio Sferra, Michiel Schaeffer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer (2018)
- Western Australia's Gas Gamble - Implications of natural gas extraction in WA Bill Hare, Niklas Roming, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Michiel Schaeffer, Matt Beer (2018)
- Stress test for coal in the EU Climate Analytics (2017)
- The Low Carbon Monitor Eds. Michiel Schaeffer, Marcia Rocha, Matthew McKinnon (2016)
- Climate Action Tracker Reports and Updates
- Scaling up climate action in the European Union: Key opportunities for transitioning to a zero emissions society Andrzej Ancygier, Tina Aboumahboub, Anne Zimmer, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Robert Brecha, Michiel Schaefer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer, Frederic Hans, Hanna Fekete, Keno Riechers, Takeshi Kuramochi, Niklas Höhne, Nicolas Fux, Thibaud Lemercier, Tom Berg, Yvonne Deng, Kornelis Blok (2018)
- A policy spotlight on energy efficiency in appliances and lights could see big climate gains Jasmin Cantzler, Fabio Sferra, Ursula Fuentes, Gaurav Ganti, Thibaud Lemercier, Irina van der Hoorn, Yvonne Deng, Kornelis Blok, Takeshi Kuramochi, Markus Hagemann, Niklas Höhne, Climate Action Tracker, (2018)
- What’s on the table? Mitigating agricultural emissions while achieving food security Sebastian Sterl, Sofia Gonzales-Zuñiga, Hanna Fekete, Claire Fyson, Jasmin Cantzler, Ursula Fuentes, Matt Beer, Yvonne Deng Lindee Wong, Daan Peters, Climate Action Tracker, (2018)
- Manufacturing a low-carbon society: How can we reduce emissions from cement and steel? Sebastain Sterl, Jing Zhang, Markus Hagemann (NewClimate Institute) Lindee Wong, Tom Berg, Yvonne Deng, Jereon de Beer, Kornelis Blok (Ecofys) Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Ursula Fuentes, Matt Beer (Climate Analytics) (2017)
- Foot off the gas: increased reliance on natural gas in the power sector risks an emissions lock-in Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Faster and cleaner 2: It only takes a few countries to kick-start energy system decarbonisation Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Constructing the Future: Will the building Sector Use its Decarbonisation Tools Climate Action Tracker (2016)