Katharina joined Climate Analytics’ Science Team in May 2020. As a Climate Change Economist, she works on several projects related to the short and long term socio-economic impacts of climate change in developing countries, taking both a micro- as well as a macro-economic perspective. In addition, she is particularly interested in the gender dimension of climate impacts and adaptation actions.
Prior to joining Climate Analytics, Katharina was a researcher at the German Institute for Economic Research in Sustainable Development as well as the International Economics Department. She conducted research on the consequences of extreme winters for households in Mongolia, educational returns for micro entrepreneurs in Uganda, and the contribution of new technological developments (mobile money) to the welfare of the poor. Katharina was involved in the collection of a large household-level panel dataset and the implementation and analysis of randomized controlled trials. In addition, she has a strong background in diverse quantitative methods, in particular micro-econometrics. Furthermore, Katharina gained policy experience on migration and climate change, green public finance, and trade and economic diversification with the International Organization for Migration, the German Development Cooperation GIZ, and the International Labour Organization.
Katharina holds a PhD in Development Economics from Humboldt University of Berlin, a Master’s degree in International Economics from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva and a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations from the Technical University of Dresden.
- Peer reviewed
- When Shocks Become Persistent: Household-Level Asset Growth in the Aftermath of an Extreme Weather Event Katharina Lehmann-Uschner, Kati Kraehnert (2018)
- Food Intake and the Role of Food Self-Provisioning Katharina Lehmann-Uschner, Kati Kraehnert (2016)
- Briefing papers
- 2 steps down the debt spiral: COVID-19 and tropical cyclones severely limit the fiscal space of many Small Island Developing States Katharina Lehmann-Uschner, Thessa Beck, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner (2020)
- Mobile Money is Driving Financial Development in Africa Katharina Lehmann-Uschner, Lukas Menkhoff (2020)
- Extremely Harsh Winters Threaten the Livelihood of Mongolia’s Herders Katharina Lehmann-Uschner, Kati Kraehnert (2018)
- Die langfristigen Folgen von Mangel und Unterernährung in Entwicklungsländern Katharina Lehmann-Uschner (2015)