Head of Climate Diplomacy
+49 (0)160 3217 187
Damon Jones is Head of Climate Diplomacy at Climate Analytics and is based in Cologne, Germany. He is responsible for the leadership and strategic development of Climate Analytics’ activities in the area of climate diplomacy. This includes our negotiation support and other activities relating to the UNFCCC, Paris Agreement, Green Climate Fund (GCF) and other international climate fora. These activities focus in particular on advising and supporting the Small Island Developing States (SIDS) and Least Developed Countries (LDCs) groups in international negotiations.
Damon is a highly experienced climate lawyer with a diverse background working in international, government and private sector organisations over the past 20 years. He was at the heart of the Paris climate negotiations in 2015, including as an advisor to Minister Fletcher of Saint Lucia in his role as co-facilitator on the ambition elements of the Paris Agreement.
Before joining Climate Analytics, Damon was a senior associate in the climate change and sustainability team at international law firm Norton Rose Fulbright, where he advised extensively on domestic and international legal frameworks and carbon markets. Prior to that, he spent six years developing climate policies and legislation in government and three years working in the United Kingdom as an environmental and climate lawyer.
Damon studied law and arts at the University of Melbourne in Australia and KU Leuven in Belgium, and holds a Master of Environmental Law from the University of Sydney. He regularly writes, presents and teaches on climate change topics. This has included co-authoring a legal guide on Australia’s Carbon Farming Initiative and lecturing on international environmental law at the University of Melbourne and the University of Cologne.
- Climate COPs are working, but follow-through on pre-2030 climate ambition is a must this year to keep the faith Damon Jones, 28 February 2023
- Paris climate deal signing ceremony: what it means and why it matters Dr. Bill Hare, Damon Jones, 21 April 2016
- Briefing papers
- Long-term strategies in SIDS: blueprints for decarbonised and resilient 1.5°C compatible economies Marie-Camille Attard, Robert Brecha, Claire Fyson, Jae Kim, Jan Sindt, Frances Fuller, Damon Jones (2021)
- A ten point agenda for delivering higher mitigation ambition Frauke Roeser, Niklas Höhne, Lukas Kahlen (NewClimate Institute, Jan Sindt, Bill Hare, Damon Jones (Climate Analytics), Xander van Tilburg, James Rawlins, Jonna Luijten (TNO) (2019)
- FACT CHECK: President Trump’s speech on intention to withdraw from the Paris Agreement Climate Analytics (2017)
- The Paris Agreement: Practical and strategic considerations related to signature and entry into force Damon Jones, MJ Mace (2016)
- Long term strategies: low carbon growth, resilience and prosperity for Least Developed Countries Nandini Das, Manjeet Dhakal, Damon Jones, MJ Mace, Victor Maxwell, Felipe Osses, Sneha Pandey, Fahad Saeed, Diego Torralva Becerra, Tenzin Wangmo, Alexandre Yédjannavo Zounmenou (2022)
- Using the Global Stocktake to Improve National Climate Policy Ambition and Implementation (2021)