Dr Andrzej Ancygier
Senior Energy and Climate Policy Analyst
+49 (0)30 259 22 95-38
Andrzej is a senior climate policy analyst based in Berlin and with a particular focus on European energy and climate policy as well as transition towards a low-carbon economy who has been dealing with the European energy and climate policy since 2008.
He contributes to the Climate Action Tracker by qualitative and quantitative assessment of climate policies of some of the biggest emitters, with the main focus on the EU. As a political scientist, his work also includes analysing the impact of different policy instruments in the energy sectors on the CO2 emissions.
Before joining Climate Analytics, Andrzej was a Dahrendorf Research Fellow at the Hertie School of Governance, looking into the dynamics shaping Polish-German cooperation in the area of energy and climate. In addition, Andrzej has also been teaching about the EU environmental policy as well as social environmental movements at the Berlin subsidiary of the New York University and Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program.
Andrzej holds a PhD in political science from the Freie Universität in Berlin
Polish energy and climate policies under the impact of the EU, Andrzej Ceglarz, Andrzej Ancygier (2015).
Energy democratization? Societal aspects of de-carbonization in the German and Polish energy sectors, Kacper Szulecki, Andrzej Ancygier, (2015).
Possible ‘Contributions’ of European Energy Intensive Industries to the Global Climate Agreement, Andrzej Ancygier, Anna Serzysko (2014).
A Common Renewable Energy Policy in Europe? Explaining the German-Polish Policy Non-Convergence, Andrzej Ancygier, Kacper Szulecki (2014).
Steel Report: Carbon Control Post 2020 in Energy Intensive Industries, October 2014, Karsten Neuhoff, William Acworth, Andrzej Ancygier, Frédéric Branger, Ian Christmas, Manuel Haussner, Roland Ismer, Arjan van Rooij, Oliver Sartor, Misato Sato, Anne Schopp (2014).
Carbon Control and Competitiveness Post 2020: The Cement Report, Karsten Neuhoff, Bruno Vanderborght, Andrzej Ancygier, Ayse Tugba Atasoy, Manuel Haussner, Roland Ismer, Benedikt Mack, Jean-Pierre Ponssard, Philippe Quirion, Arjan van Rooij, Nagore Sabio, Oliver Sartor, Misato Sato, Anne Schopp (2014).
Poland and the European Climate Policy: An Uneasy Relationship, Andrzej Ancygier (2013).
Misfit of Interests instead of the ‘Goodness of Fit’? Implementation of European Directives 2001/77/EC and 2009/28/EC in Poland Andrzej Ancygier, (2013).
- Time to move from plans to action: how the EU can reduce its Russian gas dependency now Andrzej Ancygier, Ryan Wilson, 11 April 2022
- Not even the bare minimum: unpacking Germany's 2030 climate package Robert Brecha, Bill Hare, Carl–Friedrich Schleussner, Andrzej Ancygier, 11 October 2019
- Carbon tax in schools: a laboratory for change Nicole van Maanen, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, Andrzej Ancygier, 16 July 2019
- Heute auf dem Lehrplan: Dekarbonisierung Nicole van Maanen, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, Andrzej Ancygier, 16 July 2019
- Declining Cost of Renewables and Best Practices Can Enable Nations to Expand Their NDC Ambitions Dr. Bill Hare, Laetitia De Marez, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, 19 June 2017
- It only takes a few countries to kickstart a decarbonisation revolution Markus Hagemann (New Climate Institute) and Andrzej Ancygier, 01 May 2017
- Three reasons to be cheerful about limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Dr. Bill Hare, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, 12 July 2016
- Europe needs “coalition of the willing” to rescue its global leadership in the fight against climate change Dr. Bill Hare, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, 22 April 2016
- Recent development in the EU’s climate policy: EU trading system reform could stop investment in new coal power plants Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, Dr. Bill Hare, 23 September 2015
- Could Brazilian clean energy leadership come to an end? Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, 24 August 2015
- Briefing papers
- G7 climate policy: what good looks like Claire Fyson, Bill Hare, Tabea Lissner, Andrzej Ancygier, Marie-Camille Attard, Jonas Hörsch (2022)
- Facilitating Global Transition: The Role of Nationally Determined Contributions in Meeting the Long-Term Temperature Goal of the Paris Agreement By Dr. (h.c.) Bill Hare, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, Laetitia De Marez, Paola Yanguas Parra, NDC partnership, (2017)
- Decarbonisation pathways for the EU power sector Andrzej Ancygier, Ursula Fuentes, Himalaya Bir Shrestha (2020)
- Beyond borders: How to strengthen the external impact of domestic climate action Andrzej Ancygier (2020)
- Decarbonising South Asia and South East Asia Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Paola Yanguas Parra, Anne Zimmer, Andrzej Ancygier, Fahad Saeed, Robert Brecha, Bill Hare, Jessie Granadillos, Tina Aboumahboub, Gaurav Ganti, Ilsa Kelischek, Raghuveer Vyas, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, Michiel Schaeffer (2019)
- Some progress since Paris, but not enough, as governments amble towards 3°C of warming Climate Action Tracker (2018)
- Stress test for coal in the EU Climate Analytics (2017)
- The Low Carbon Monitor Eds. Michiel Schaeffer, Marcia Rocha, Matthew McKinnon (2016)
- Implications of the Paris Agreement for coal use in the power sector Dr. Marcia Rocha, Dr. (h.c) Bill Hare, Paola Yanguas Parra, Niklas Roming, Ugur Ural, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Fabio Sferra, Howard Li, Dr. Michiel Schaeffer (2016)
- What does the Paris Agreement mean for Finland and the European Union? Marcia Rocha, Fabio Sferra, Michiel Schaeffer, Niklas Roming, Andrzej Ancygier, Paola Parra, Jasmin Cantzler, Alain Coimbra, Bill Hare (2016)
- Mitigation Commitments and Fair Effort Sharing in a New Comprehensive Climate Agreement Starting in 2020 Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Hanna Fekete, Markus Hagemann, Niklas Höhne, Daniel Kandy, Antje Kästner, Jan Kersting, Anja Köhne, Marie Lindberg, Florian Mersmann, Wolfgang Obergassel, Anne Siemons, Katja Schumacher, Hanna Wang-‐Helmreich, Timon Wehnert (2015)
- Climate Action Tracker Reports and Updates
- Scaling up climate action in the European Union: Key opportunities for transitioning to a zero emissions society Andrzej Ancygier, Tina Aboumahboub, Anne Zimmer, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Robert Brecha, Michiel Schaefer, Bill Hare, Matt Beer, Frederic Hans, Hanna Fekete, Keno Riechers, Takeshi Kuramochi, Niklas Höhne, Nicolas Fux, Thibaud Lemercier, Tom Berg, Yvonne Deng, Kornelis Blok (2018)
- Scaling up climate action in South Africa Ecofys, New Climate Institute, Climate Analytics (2018)
- Improvement in warming outlook as India and China move ahead, but Paris Agreement gap still looms large Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Manufacturing a low-carbon society: How can we reduce emissions from cement and steel? Sebastain Sterl, Jing Zhang, Markus Hagemann (NewClimate Institute) Lindee Wong, Tom Berg, Yvonne Deng, Jereon de Beer, Kornelis Blok (Ecofys) Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Ursula Fuentes, Matt Beer (Climate Analytics) (2017)
- Foot off the gas: increased reliance on natural gas in the power sector risks an emissions lock-in Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Action by China and India slows emissions growth, President Trump’s policies likely to cause US emissions to flatten Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Faster and cleaner 2: It only takes a few countries to kick-start energy system decarbonisation Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Constructing the Future: Will the building Sector Use its Decarbonisation Tools Climate Action Tracker (2016)