+61 403 616 302
Dr. Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter is based in Perth, Western-Australia and works on research in the field of international climate policy, focusing on the development of climate policy and energy transformation strategies in particular in the Asia-Pacific Region. She is presently on leave from her senior position at the German Federal Ministry for the Environment (BMUB).
Dr Fuentes is also Adjunct Associate Professor at Murdoch University, School of Engineering and Information Technology in Perth, Western Australia.
From 2013 until January 2017 she was Head of Unit for Strategic Aspects of Climate Policy at the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Germany, where she has been responsible for general and strategic aspects of climate policy, in particular for the development of the German national climate plans and programmes at national level and for monitoring progress on climate policy. She led the development of the German national climate plan implementing the Paris Agreement, which was adopted by government in November 2016.
Previously she was in charge of managing, building up and developing the German National Climate Initiative, a 100 million Euro/year funding programme for innovative climate technologies and projects for local communities, small-scale businesses and consumers.
From 2003 to 2010, she held positions in units on International Climate Policy of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, inter alia as Head of German Delegation to the IPCC (Fourth Assessment Report Cycle, Initiative on Special Report on Renewable Energy) and as an Issue Leader for the EU Negotiation Team to the UNFCCC and Copenhagen Climate Summit in 2009, focusing on overall mitigation strategy, forestry (REDD/LULUCF), shared vision/ultimate objective, scientific and strategic aspects.
Before joining the Federal Ministry for the Environment, she held positions as research analyst for energy and climate policy for the German Advisory Council on Global Change (WBGU), for the Federal Parliament, and at RIVM in the Netherlands for the Science Policy Dialogue Project on Long-term Options for the Climate Regime. From December 1993 to April 1997, she worked as a researcher at the DLR – Institute for Atmospheric Physics, where she worked on her PhD thesis (Development of statistical-dynamical downscaling based on classification of dynamic weather patterns using neural network methodologies).
- Peer reviewed
- Climate Change – Causes, Scenarios and Political Coping Strategies Fuentes, U., Pilardeaux, B., Research on Cases and Theories, Vol. 6, München. 1998, (1998)
- Globaler Klimaschutz: Ziele, Hemmnisse und Chancen für ein Steuerungsproblem vom Multiakteur-Langfrist-Typus Schellnhuber, H.J., Fuentes, U., Zeitschrift für angewandte Umweltforschung , 10, 441-456, (1997)
- Verification of statistical-dynamical downscaling in the Alpine region Fuentes, U., Heimann, D., Climate Research, Vol. 7: 151 - 168, 1996, (1996)
- Vertical signal flow and oscillations in a three-layer model of the cortex Fuentes, U., Ritz, R., Gerstner, W. et al, J of Computational Neuroscience , Volume 3, Issue 2, pp 125–136 Juni 1996,
- An improved statistical-dynamical downscaling scheme and its application to the Alpine precipitation climatology Fuentes, U., Heimann, D., Theoretical and Applied Climatology, April 2000, Vol. 65, Issue 3, pp 119–135 April 2000,
- Briefing papers
- FACT CHECK: President Trump’s speech on intention to withdraw from the Paris Agreement Climate Analytics (2017)
- The Finkel Review and scientific consistency with the Paris Agreement Bill Hare, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Fabio Sferra, Paola Parra, Jasmin Cantzler, Michiel Schaeffer, Matt Beer (2017)
- A new statistical-dynamical downscaling scheme and ist application to the Alpine precipitation climatology Fuentes, U., Heimann, D., Sept, V., Torres, G.
- The Accounting of Biological Sinks and Sources Under the Kyoto-Protocol: A Step Forwards or Backwards for Global Environmental Protection?
- WBGU: World in Transition -Towards Sustainable Energy Systems. Report 2004
- Climate Protection Strategies for the 21st Century: Kyoto and beyond
- Climate Action Tracker Reports and Updates
- What’s on the table? Mitigating agricultural emissions while achieving food security Sebastian Sterl, Sofia Gonzales-Zuñiga, Hanna Fekete, Claire Fyson, Jasmin Cantzler, Ursula Fuentes, Matt Beer, Yvonne Deng Lindee Wong, Daan Peters, Climate Action Tracker, (2018)
- Manufacturing a low-carbon society: How can we reduce emissions from cement and steel? Sebastain Sterl, Jing Zhang, Markus Hagemann (NewClimate Institute) Lindee Wong, Tom Berg, Yvonne Deng, Jereon de Beer, Kornelis Blok (Ecofys) Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Ursula Fuentes, Matt Beer (Climate Analytics) (2017)