Sandra Freitas is an advisor to our office on Lomé, Togo. She holds a Masters in Economics and a qualification in Environment Diplomacy. Building on her experience in supporting the formulation and design of climate and development policies in Africa, as well as her work on capacity development activities in Western and Central Africa, she supports the increasing work of Climate Analytics at regional and national levels.
She has been following UNFCCC negotiation since 2007 and is the principal Climate Policy Analyst for the LDC group of Parties in the UNFCCC negotiation. After having worked for a Togolese economics consulting business, she joined the Young Volunteers for the Environment, a Togolese NGO, where she led the programs on sustainable development and community development, in relation to gender and social justice issues. Following this, Sandra was appointed Executive Director of “Actions en faveur de l’Homme et de la Nature, AFHON” [Actions for Human and Nature], a Togolese association whose activities are focused on the impact of climate change on vulnerable communities, especially women, in both urban and rural areas. She has supported the Government of Togo in the preparation of key frameworks on climate change such as the national adaptation program of action and the second national communication and is very active at the regional level, supporting the preparation of the West African regional strategy on vulnerability assessment and adaptation to climate change. Sandra also supports the international advocacy team of the Global Gender and Climate Alliance (GGCA), an initiative to ensure that international, regional and national policies on climate change are gender sensitive.
Three takeaways from the INDC processes in vulnerable countries, Sandra Freitas, Howard Li, Jan Sindt, 10 May 2015
Supporting the preparation of the Gambia’s INDC – Lessons learned from local stakeholder consultations, Kirstin Hücking, Sandra Freitas, 12 August 2015
Lessons from the INDC process in The Gambia, Sandra Freitas, Marion Vieweg, 24 March 2015
- Briefing papers
- Mitigation, pledge, impacts and effects on LDC Michiel Schaeffer, Felix Fallasch, Sandra Freitas, Andries Hof, Kirsten Macey, Joeri Rogelj, Bill Hare (2011)
- Periodic Review, Background and Analysis Bill Hare, Michiel Schaeffer, Kirsten Macey, Sandra Freitas, Henrike Doebert (2011)
- Africa's Adaptation Gap: Bridging the Gap - Mobilising Sources Michiel Schaeffer, Florent Baarsch, Gilbert Balo, Kelly de Bruin, Richard Calland, Felix Fallasch, Mahlet Eyassu Melkie, Len Verwey, Sandra Freitas, Laetitia De Marez, Jerome van Rooij, Bill Hare (2015)
- Loss and Damage in Africa Michiel Schaeffer, Florent Baarsch, Leon Charles, Kelly de Bruin, Sandra Freitas, Bill Hare, Andries Hof & MJ Mace (2014)
- Africa’s Adaptation Gap: Climate-change impacts, adaptation challenges and costs for Africa Michiel Schaeffer, Florent Baarsch, Sophie Adams, Kelly de Bruin, Laetitia De Marez, Sandra Freitas, Andries Hof, Bill Hare (2013)