+49 (0)30 259 22 95-26
+49 (0) 176 8691 4455
Matt Beer is a graphic designer and our resident expert on data visualisation and communication. His main focus is on the Climate Action Tracker and ensuring the data from this project tells a clear and easy to understand story of what is actually happening, most importantly how current trends of various countries are in line with their respective targets for the UNFCCC process.
Matt has a varied background working in many areas and places. He studied chemical engineering at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia before moving to Perth to work as an energy efficiency engineer in the already climate affected Western Australian water industry. In 2010 he left Australia to focus on improving communication surrounding energy and climate change, spending time developing an educational website on climate change, oil and economics with mainly video content that is filtered so users with various knowledge levels can find material appropriate for them. He also worked on a data based animated video series on peak oil, attempting to teach the viewer the most important aspects of oil’s function in the economy in under 3 hours. His other work includes videos and info-graphics for various freelance clients.
The Peak Oil Files An animated video series explaining the science and concepts behind oil’s role in our global economy, specifically the dynamics behind supply and demand.
Banks: do the Paris Pledge video for Banktrack on behalf of over 150 supporting organisations showing the role banks play in funding coal projects and calling for them to pledge to stop and do their part in limiting global warming.
climateexperiment.com A website designed to make it much easier to learn about the biggest issues of our time: climate destabilisation, peak oil and our economic system. The website content is primarily video that has been filtered by topic and knowledge level, so that users can find videos appropriate for them no matter what their prior knowledge level is.
- Briefing papers
- The Finkel Review and scientific consistency with the Paris Agreement Bill Hare, Ursula Fuentes Hutfilter, Fabio Sferra, Paola Parra, Jasmin Cantzler, Michiel Schaeffer, Matt Beer (2017)
- Stress test for coal in the EU Climate Analytics (2017)
- The Low Carbon Monitor Eds. Michiel Schaeffer, Marcia Rocha, Matthew McKinnon (2016)
- Climate Action Tracker Reports and Updates
- Manufacturing a low-carbon society: How can we reduce emissions from cement and steel? Sebastain Sterl, Jing Zhang, Markus Hagemann (NewClimate Institute) Lindee Wong, Tom Berg, Yvonne Deng, Jereon de Beer, Kornelis Blok (Ecofys) Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Ursula Fuentes, Matt Beer (Climate Analytics) (2017)
- Foot off the gas: increased reliance on natural gas in the power sector risks an emissions lock-in Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Faster and cleaner 2: It only takes a few countries to kick-start energy system decarbonisation Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Constructing the Future: Will the building Sector Use its Decarbonisation Tools Climate Action Tracker (2016)