+49 (0)30 259 22 95-44
Florent Baarsch is a development economist focusing on the impacts of climate change on development and adaptation. He co-lead the chapter on the economics of adaptation for the Global Adaptation Gap report (UNEP, 2014) and currently leads the research of the Economic Growth and Climate Change in Africa project (UNEP, forthcoming). He has contributed to several publications connecting climate change and development for the World Bank (Turn Down the Heat reports, 2013 & 2014), UNEP (Africa’s Adaptation Gap, 2013 & forthcoming) and UNECA (Loss and Damage in Africa, 2014). Additional peer-reviewed publications on regional impacts of climate change on economic development, insurance and adaptation in developing countries as well as vulnerability assessments are forthcoming. He was earlier affiliated with the Norwegian research institute CICERO, Aix-Marseille School of Economics and visiting researcher at the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW). In 2010 – 2011 he spent nine months on Tuvalu, a small low-lying island state, researching on adaptation and how climate change affects livelihoods.
Florent also supports the Least Developed Countries (LDC) Group in the climate negotiations. He holds a Masters in Development Economics.
- Peer reviewed
- Climate change impacts in Sub-Saharan Africa: from physical changes to their social repercussions Olivia Serdeczny, Sophie Adams, Florent Baarsch, Dim Coumou, Alexander Robinson, Bill Hare, Michiel Schaeffer, Mahe ́Perrette, Julia Reinhardt (2016)
- Climate change impacts in Central Asia and their implications for development Reyer CPO, IM Otto, S Adams, T Albrecht, F Baarsch, M Cartsburg, D Coumou, A Eden, E Ludi, R Marcus, M Mengel, B Mosello, A Robinson,C. F. Schleussner, O Serdeczny, J Stagl (2015)
- Climate change impacts in Latin America and the Caribbean and their implications for development Reyer CPO, S Adams, T Albrecht, F Baarsch, A Boit, N Canales Trujillo, M Cartsburg, D Coumou, A Eden, E Fernandes, F Langerwisch, R Marcus, M Mengel, D Mira-Salama, M Perette, P Pereznieto, A Rammig, J Reinhardt, A Robinson, M Rocha, B Sakschewski, M Schaeffer, C. F. Schleussner, O Serdeczny, K Thonicke (2015)
- The Adaptation Gap Report 2016 (2016)
- Africa's Adaptation Gap: Bridging the Gap - Mobilising Sources Michiel Schaeffer, Florent Baarsch, Gilbert Balo, Kelly de Bruin, Richard Calland, Felix Fallasch, Mahlet Eyassu Melkie, Len Verwey, Sandra Freitas, Laetitia De Marez, Jerome van Rooij, Bill Hare (2015)
- The Adaptation Gap Report 2014 (2014)
- Turn Down the Heat: Confronting the New Climate Normal? (2014)
- Loss and Damage in Africa Michiel Schaeffer, Florent Baarsch, Leon Charles, Kelly de Bruin, Sandra Freitas, Bill Hare, Andries Hof & MJ Mace (2014)
- Turn Down the Heat: Climate Extremes, Regional Impacts and the Case for Resilience Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, Bill Hare, Olivia Serdeczny, Michiel Schaeffer, Sophie Adams, Florent Baarsch, Susanne Schwan, Dim Coumou, Alexander Robinson, Marion Vieweg, Franziska Piontek, Reik Donner, Jakob Runge, Kira Rehfeld, Joeri Rogelj, Mahé Perette, Arathy Menon, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, Alberte Bondeau, Anastasia Svirejeva-Hopkins, Jacob Schewe, Katja Frieler, Lila Warszawski, Marcia Rocha. (2013)