+49 (0)30 259 22 95-38
Climate Policy Analyst based in Berlin, Germany, is contributing to the Climate Action Tracker and analysis of the INDCs submitted before the climate summit in Paris. Andrzej is political scientist specialising in the European energy and climate policy as well as transition towards low-carbon economy.
Dr. Andrzej Ancygier is a climate policy analyst mainly focusing on the impact of the energy policy on the CO2 emissions in different countries. He also looks at the potential to reduce the emissions by moving towards low-carbon energy sources in different countries.
Before joining Climate Analytics, Andrzej has been working for Hertie School of Governance and Environmental Policy Research Center where he has been dealing with the European energy and climate policy. His main focus was on the challenges of the transition towards low-carbon economy in the Eastern European countries, especially Poland. Andrzej has also looked into the dynamics shaping Polish-German cooperation in the area of energy and climate and has written a number of articles dealing with the transformation towards low carbon economy in different countries and regions, i.e. China and the USA. He has also been teaching about the EU environmental policy at the Berlin subsidiary of the New York University and global challenges at the FU Summer and Winter University (FUBiS).
Andrzej holds a Masters in international relations from the University of Wroclaw and a PhD in social sciences from the Free University in Berlin.
Polish energy and climate policies under the impact of the EU, Andrzej Ceglarz, Andrzej Ancygier (2015).
Energy democratization? Societal aspects of de-carbonization in the German and Polish energy sectors, Kacper Szulecki, Andrzej Ancygier, (2015).
Possible ‘Contributions’ of European Energy Intensive Industries to the Global Climate Agreement, Andrzej Ancygier, Anna Serzysko (2014).
A Common Renewable Energy Policy in Europe? Explaining the German-Polish Policy Non-Convergence, Andrzej Ancygier, Kacper Szulecki (2014).
Steel Report: Carbon Control Post 2020 in Energy Intensive Industries, October 2014, Karsten Neuhoff, William Acworth, Andrzej Ancygier, Frédéric Branger, Ian Christmas, Manuel Haussner, Roland Ismer, Arjan van Rooij, Oliver Sartor, Misato Sato, Anne Schopp (2014).
Carbon Control and Competitiveness Post 2020: The Cement Report, Karsten Neuhoff, Bruno Vanderborght, Andrzej Ancygier, Ayse Tugba Atasoy, Manuel Haussner, Roland Ismer, Benedikt Mack, Jean-Pierre Ponssard, Philippe Quirion, Arjan van Rooij, Nagore Sabio, Oliver Sartor, Misato Sato, Anne Schopp (2014).
Poland and the European Climate Policy: An Uneasy Relationship, Andrzej Ancygier (2013).
Misfit of Interests instead of the ‘Goodness of Fit’? Implementation of European Directives 2001/77/EC and 2009/28/EC in Poland Andrzej Ancygier, (2013).
- Briefing papers
- Facilitating Global Transition: The Role of Nationally Determined Contributions in Meeting the Long-Term Temperature Goal of the Paris Agreement By Dr. (h.c.) Bill Hare, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, Laetitia De Marez, Paola Yanguas Parra, NDC partnership, (2017)
- Manufacturing a low-carbon society: How can we reduce emissions from cement and steel? Sebastain Sterl, Jing Zhang, Markus Hagemann, Lindee Wong, Tom Berg, Yvonne Deng, Jereon de Beer, Kornelis Blok, Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Ursula Fuentes, Matt Beer
- Stress test for coal in the EU Climate Analytics (2017)
- The Low Carbon Monitor Eds. Michiel Schaeffer, Marcia Rocha, Matthew McKinnon (2016)
- Implications of the Paris Agreement for coal use in the power sector Dr. Marcia Rocha, Dr. (h.c) Bill Hare, Paola Yanguas Parra, Niklas Roming, Ugur Ural, Dr. Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Fabio Sferra, Howard Li, Dr. Michiel Schaeffer (2016)
- What does the Paris Agreement mean for Finland and the European Union? Marcia Rocha, Fabio Sferra, Michiel Schaeffer, Niklas Roming, Andrzej Ancygier, Paola Parra, Jasmin Cantzler, Alain Coimbra, Bill Hare (2016)
- Mitigation Commitments and Fair Effort Sharing in a New Comprehensive Climate Agreement Starting in 2020 Andrzej Ancygier, Jasmin Cantzler, Hanna Fekete, Markus Hagemann, Niklas Höhne, Daniel Kandy, Antje Kästner, Jan Kersting, Anja Köhne, Marie Lindberg, Florian Mersmann, Wolfgang Obergassel, Anne Siemons, Katja Schumacher, Hanna Wang-‐Helmreich, Timon Wehnert (2015)
- Climate Action Tracker Reports and Updates
- Foot off the gas: increased reliance on natural gas in the power sector risks an emissions lock-in Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Action by China and India slows emissions growth, President Trump’s policies likely to cause US emissions to flatten Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Faster and cleaner 2: It only takes a few countries to kick-start energy system decarbonisation Climate Action Tracker (2017)
- Constructing the Future: Will the building Sector Use its Decarbonisation Tools Climate Action Tracker (2016)