+49 (0)30 259 22 95-41
Alex supports the Science Team at Climate Analytics with a focus on sea level rise and works closely with the Policy Team on IPCC related issues. His scientific interests revolve around strong climate mitigation pathways and the physical implications of delaying global decarbonisation efforts. While his core expertise is based on the physical science of climate change, he also aims at facilitating the way scientific information is compiled and communicated to stakeholders and policy makers.
Alex studied Geography at Humboldt University in Berlin and Climate Science at University of Bern. For his PhD project at the Australian-German Climate and Energy College in Melbourne, he synthesised knowledge about multi-centennial sea level projections and developed a sea level rise module for the simple climate carbon cycle model MAGICC. As a Melbourne University research fellow, he contributed to the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Phase 6 (CMIP6) effort and continues to be involved in the MAGICC development process. Before starting his PhD, he worked at the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group I Technical Support Unit during the Fifth Assessment cycle.
- Peer reviewed
- Committed sea-level rise under the Paris Agreement and the legacy of delayed mitigation action Matthias Mengel, Alexander Nauels, Joeri Rogelj, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, Nature Communications , DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-02985-8, (2018)
- Linking sea level rise and socioeconomic indicators under the Shared Socioeconomic Pathways Alexander Nauels, Joeri Rogelj, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, Malte Meinshausen and Matthias Mengel, Environmental Research Letters , Volume 12, Number 11, doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aa92b6, (2017)
- Synthesizing long-term sea level rise projections - the MAGICC sea level model v2.0 Nauels, A., Meinshausen, M., Mengel, M., Lorbacher, K., and Wigley, T. M. L., Geoscientific Model Development, 10, 2495-2524, doi:10.5194/gmd-10-2495-2017, (2017)
- Historical greenhouse gas concentrations for climate modelling (CMIP6) Meinshausen, M., Vogel, E., Nauels, A., Lorbacher, K., Meinshausen, N., Etheridge, D. M., Fraser, P. J., Montzka, S. A., Rayner, P. J., Trudinger, C. M., Krummel, P. B., Beyerle, U., Canadell, J. G., Daniel, J. S., Enting, I. G., Law, R. M., Lunder, C. R., O'Doherty, S., Prinn, R. G., Reimann, S., Rubino, M., Velders, G. J. M., Vollmer, M. K., Wang, R. H. J., and Weiss, R., Geoscientific Model Development, 10, 2057-2116, doi:10.5194/gmd-10-2057-2017, (2017)
- Complementing thermosteric sea level rise estimates Lorbacher, K., Nauels, A., and Meinshausen, M., Geoscientific Model Development, 8, 2723-2734, doi:10.5194/gmd-8-2723-2015, (2015)
- Briefing papers
- New Zealand’s Zero Carbon Bill – getting the Paris Agreement right Bill Hare, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, Michiel Schaeffer, Alexander Nauels (2018)