Temporary position for half a year due to maternity leave – with opportunities for extension based in Berlin
Starting Date: February 2017
Terms: Fixed term maternity cover contract (1/2 year) with possibility of extension depending on performance and funding
For further information send your questions via email to .
To apply, send your CV and covering letter in German or English with the subject “*Economist” by email to by 9 January 2017. Interviews can be expected to take place in January.
We are looking for a French and English-speaking economist to join our Economics Team to engage in projects on climate change economic impacts, adaptation/disaster risk management, and development economics, in partnership with international organisations and national governments.
- Collecting, and analysing data and policy documents, drafting structured literature research and review;
- Contributing to writing of research articles and reports in French and English;
- Contributing to develop relevant statistical, econometric methodologies;
- Assisting the team in fundraising, writing applications for projects;
- Assisting the team in the monitoring and evaluation of on-going projects;
- Assisting team leader in managing the team, projects and partners relations;
- Traveling as needed.
- Master’s degree (obtained) in economics (development, environmental), and preferably with knowledge of climate change issues;
- At least four years experience in developing countries, preferably working with government institutions and international organisations, especially in Africa;
- Demonstrated interest in climate change, adaptation and disaster risk reduction (required). Prior knowledge and experience with climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction literature is an advantage;
- High proficiency in spoken and written English and French (required);
- Ability to work independently, readiness to travel, very good communication skills in both French and English;
- Motivated, hard-working, solution-oriented, flexible with high level of professional integrity;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel and Power Point);
- Knowledge in R programming.
What we offer
- Exciting working environment in a culturally diverse, highly motivated team;
- Participation in high-level international reports and research;
- Exposure to advanced discussions on climate science, economics and policy;
- Competitive rate of compensation.