Climate Impact and Adaptation Expert
Starting date: As soon as position is filled
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Terms: Fixed term contract until February 2019, with perspective of extension
For further information, send your questions to
To apply, send your CV and cover letter in English or French, contact details of three referees, list of publication as well as a research statement to with the subject “Climate Change Impact and Adaptation Expert- Senegal” by 15st March 2017.
We are currently seeking an Expert on Climate Impacts and Adaptation to support and expand our science unit. The successful applicant will be working in the PAS-PNA project, a project jointly implemented by Climate Analytics and GIZ, to support countries in francophone sub-Saharan Africa to initiate and conduct a science-based National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process. The position is based in Dakar, Senegal, and will require occasional travel to our regional offices in Lomé, to other countries in the francophone sub-Saharan region and to our head office in Berlin.
The expert will report to the Climate Analytics’ PAS PNA coordinator, and will cooperate closely with the PAS-PNA policy analyst, as well as with various colleagues in the science team. The expert will form a small Senegal country PAS-PNA team together with two senior experts from the project’s partner organisation GIZ.
- Perform independent vulnerability assessments for Senegal and the wider region, using quantitative, qualitative as well as participatory methods, collaborating with a regional network of scientists, with his/her own global network, as well as with other scientists within Climate Analytics
- Develop and strengthen the science-policy interface through regular exchange with governmental agencies within Senegal to facilitate the use of scientific output in the adaptation planning of the country
- Design, manage and implement quantitative research assignments and analytical projects in conjunction with internal and external experts
- Perform independent qualitative and quantitative assessments of national and regional climate adaptation information
- Take the lead in priority setting of sectors and adaptation options to be included in such assessments, based on both policy and scientific insights, striking a balance between policy demand on one hand, and scientific uncertainties and a-priori risk estimates on the other hand
- Liaise with project partners in Senegal and other project countries
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and facilitation of regional workshops and facilitation of stakeholder consultations in the region
- Writing of reports, work papers and other information material
- Interact with stakeholders and project partners for satisfying information needs and identifying opportunities
- Support the overall development of scientific capacity and science-based approaches in partner institutions in the region
You will ideally have the following qualifications and skills:
- A PhD in geography, economics, development, environmental sciences, or a related field
- Minimum three years of experience, preferably more, in cross-sectoral climate adaptation, vulnerability and development research
- Experience in planning and conducting participatory research, preferably in a francophone developing country
- Experience with inter-disciplinary work and a profound interest in understanding major challenges of climate change for development
- A well-developed sense for team work, excellent networking skills and ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally is required
- Experience in working with the Senegalese government and regional networks are an advantage
- Excellent English and French writing and verbal skills are a requirement; basic German skills are welcome, but not required.